Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I met Dilip when I was a student. I interacted with
him briefly at that time.

I had greater opportunity to interact with him after I
joined IITM as a faculty. I have had the pleasure of
walking with him from IITM Gate to his office on a few
occasions. I particularly remember these walks,
because I got the opportunity to chat with him by
myself on those occasions. I say this because, he so
closely interacted with so many students, both past
and present, that his office almost always had more
than one visitor at the same time. It was rare to find
him by himself. He unobtrusively made such a great
personal impact on almost everyone who met him, that
to many, meeting him was central to their visit to
campus. There have even been occasions when I have
gone to his office and found that he was not available
but there were several others in his office!

His leaving us indeed is a great loss to all of us. He
graced us with his presence.

I do remember reading somewhere that it is not how
long we live but how we live that matters. By that
measure, Dilip was so far ahead.

Farewell Dilip.

prathap haridoss

No comments:

Post a Comment